At ELCA, technology and engineering have always been, and will always be, a cornerstone of our successful partnership with our customers. We have special expertise in a number of core technologies and thanks to our extensive experience, we are able to tailor these broad technologies to meet individual customer needs. Our commitment is to develop state of the art solutions and to “make IT work”.
Architecture & SOA
Our service-oriented architecture (SOA) approach is pragmatically based on the principles of application architecture and on the leading products on the market. Some of these principles were integrated in our good practices before the term SOA attracted the attention of the computer press.
The architecture of an application must have scope to accommodate future challenges, in terms of scalability, new interfaces, or increased load, whilst remaining practical, robust and high-performing.
Our portfolio of projects contains varied application examples, starting with implementations based directly on Java/.Net and extending to the use of the enterprise service bus (ESB).
Using this experience as a basis, ELCA helps its customers to adopt this technology progressively, optimizing the added value and controlling risks. This assistance can take the form of corporate strategy, a targeted study, prototype development or an audit.
The analysis of interactions between the modules and the search for the loosest possible linking will make it possible to ensure phased implementation as well as future maintenance and reliable operation.
The analysis of security risks is a key stage in creating a good architecture, particularly when the system is open to the outside (web application) or the data to be handled requires particular attention.
When tackled right from the start of the project, these aspects will ensure that the objectives are achieved and efficient and durable operation is attained.
Obsolete IT systems are not only a strain on your nerves, but they also cost time and money. The issue hangs over the IT managers’ heads like a sword of Damocles. “It’s still working ...,” but the company bears the increasing costs and risks until the load becomes too heavy...
When the solution continues to fulfil business needs in a more or less satisfactorily way, an approach involving migration sometimes turns out to be the best solution. Migration does not “only” involve a new technological basis: where necessary, the system should also be improved.
ELCA has been working in this area for over 15 years and has developed tried-and-tested procedure models. We have successfully implemented important projects and gained considerable experience.
An assessment of the current situation and an analysis of the system modules will provide answers to questions such as: what can be migrated one to one, what should be amended or even be developed from scratch ? ELCA has developed a “decision path” for this analysis in order to come to the right decision as quickly as possible.
ELCA can support the modernisation of your system with the following services:
- Consulting: Assessment of the application portfolio and delivery of a renewal strategy.
- Migration 1 to 1: Automated, semi-automated or manual conversion of the original code.
- Migration with equal functionality: The system components are re-written, without calling their functionalities into question. Only their appearance is reconsidered (e.g. new navigation concept in the case of a move to web architecture).
- New development: The system is completely reconsidered, including at a functional level.
- Software package: The system is replaced by one or several products from the market.
- Data migration: Use of ETL, MDM and DQM concepts and tools.
In addition to providing specialised technical knowledge in the area of mobile application development, expert ELCA consultants in digital marketing, digital transformation and customer experience (CX, Customer eXperience) can also assist you according to your requirements at different phases in your projects: business analysis, customer journey optimization, business cases, IT architecture, IT governance and even management of mobile devices.
Whether they are intended for the general public (B2C), partners (B2B) or employees within the same company (E2E), mobile applications are the focus of current concerns and omnichannel interaction strategies. Implementing them requires the ability to address a number of challenges:
- Time to market and IT integration – The world of IT is constantly changing, and mobile channels must be able to adapt quickly to stay relevant to business needs. To truly push the boundaries for a company, a mobile application must also integrate seamlessly with back-end services and be able to withstand the loads under which it is placed.
- Development quality and information security – Requirements in terms of quality and security are all the more important since a lack of qualitative developments and the loss of information can have a negative impact on a company’s business activities and its brand image. In cases where development cycles are very fast, a systematic test phase is the only way to guarantee the smooth operation of applications on multiple target platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) as well as on different versions of devices.
- Ergonomics and design – Users of mobile applications have become particularly demanding. In order to engage users and retain their loyalty, mobile applications today need to be both good-looking and flawless from an ergonomics point of view.
The experts at ELCA have the full range of technical expertise and are skilled in the methods and use of the specific tools required for developing and testing mobile applications. We adapt our development approach to the requirements and objectives of each application. Typically, a hybrid approach (e.g. PhoneGap frameworks) or an approach based on cross-compilation (e.g. Xamarin environments) allows development cycles to be accelerated so that time-to-market constraints can be accommodated, while a native development approach (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) may be preferable for applications requiring greater optimisation and access to resources on more advanced devices. Some of the testing may be covered by cloud services (Testdroid, Xamarin Test Cloud), which test whether applications work properly with the multitude of devices available on the market. An advanced test phase conducted by experts must be scheduled in order to ensure that quality standards meet the expectations of the general public and to check a number of different elements, such as installing and uninstalling applications, performance on different networks (2G, 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi), data synchronisation when switching between online and offline mode, integration with the company’s back-end services and security for these services.
Apart from the technical skills required, creating a mobile application that successfully engages with clients or employees requires special consideration with regard to the information displayed, the expectations of the intended users, the desired method of interaction, or indeed in terms of graphics. The UX (User eXperience) team at ELCA has developed a user-centred approach. This team establishes innovative interaction concepts and a visual identity during the development phase of the application and monitors the quality of the ergonomics during the implementation and testing phases.When designing a mobile application, a company’s applicative environment and global omnichannel interaction strategy for clients or employees must also both be taken into consideration. Expert ELCA consultants in digital marketing, digital transformation and customer experience (CX, Customer eXperience) can assist you according to your requirements at different phases in your projects: business analysis, customer experience development, case studies, IT architecture, IT governance and management of mobile devices. ELCA also contributes its security expertise, a factor that will be integral to the success of your mobile applications. Both on the user side, to protect data, and on the server side, where the company’s back-end services are exposed to the Internet and API management issues, it is crucial that these constraints be taken into consideration by a team of professionals, right from the design stage.
Since 1968, ELCA has been asked by its customers to address these challenges, which have become all the more pressing since the appearance of Big Data and mobile applications.
Information systems have the aim of acquiring, processing and making data available. These processes are therefore strategic and are the subject of major challenges, in particular as regards non-functional aspects such as speed of processing and access, integrity, quality, relevance volume, flow and security.
All this knowledge gained has been capitalised within a dedicated unit, bringing together a large number of experts in database implementation and optimisation, and rounded off by many years of experience of implementing data warehouses and Business Intelligence solutions.
ELCA's database management offering therefore covers all our customers' needs:
- Optimisation of applications for all kinds of software architecture (n-tiers, web or non-web, Java, .Net, etc.)
- Optimisation of batch data processing
- Database optimisation (indexation, partitioning, parallelisation, configuration, etc.)
- Database modelling (relational, multidimensional, object, etc.)
- Implementation or optimisation of data synchronisation/replication processes between multiple sources
- Implementation of data processing procedures (batch processing, information integration from multiple sources and transformation of models, quality control and improvements, aggregations, consolidations, etc.)
- Implementation of data migration projects
- Audit or implementation of security elements
- Implementation of Master Data Management solutions and help to define the strategy to adopt
- Implementation of architectures geared to Big Data
With more than a hundred projects carried out each year, ELCA's experts are able to respond to the most complex of challenges. Each of our assignments, whether they involve an undertaking on budgets and timescales or a management assessment, was completed successfully and to the full satisfaction of our many customers, who are happy to give references.
ELCA will provide guidance throughout this process, from the analysis phase, to implementation, to active use on our hybrid cloud Platform.
These days, the major issue for companies is no longer whether they will host a portion of their applications in the cloud, but rather when, how, and which ones.
Infrastructure is thus becoming hybridised. Some applications will continue to be hosted internally, while others are being hosted in a private and/or public cloud, or following a software-as-a-service (SaaS) model.The right decision is therefore of crucial importance.
ELCA will provide guidance throughout this process, from the analysis phase, to implementation, to active use on our hybrid cloud platform:
- Analysis of requirements and definition of eligible applications
- Architecture and dimensions of the platform
- Refactoring and interfacing with internal applications
- Support services (SLA) and load management (elasticity)
- Choice of tools
- Estimates and cost controls
- Selection of third-party cloud service provider(s)
- Management of security constraints
Digitalising companies poses a number of challenges: B2C (24/7) applications, increasing system complexity, control of ongoing deployments, control of costs and expertise. As a managed services provider, ELCA can help you to overcome these challenges.
PeakProtect is a solution developed by ELCA allowing you to regulate the flow of Internet users accessing your Web applications.
We are partners with the leading cloud service providers, including:
- Microsoft Azure
- Amazon Web Services
We will also guide you through the process of establishing centralised management of your hybrid platforms, positioning ourselves as your single point of contact for a range of different cloud service providers. Our team of security experts will also be on hand to enable you to, for example, mitigate the risk of data breaches from your company.
ELCA can count on a decade of experience in the field of SaaS. Among the high-profile users benefiting from support from our hybrid cloud platform is the UEFA online ticketing system. We also operate cloud platforms for other big names in the sports and luxury goods sectors.